Thursday, March 14, 2013

Postpartum problems and St. Patty's Day project

Since I felt crummy during most of my pregnancy, I looked forward to post-pregnancy when I figured all my ailments would go away. While I wasn't silly enough to think I'd automatically shrink back to pre-pregnancy size, it never occurred to me that I would have postpartum issues. The only thing I knew about was postpartum depression, solely for the reason that I teach Charlotte Perkin Gilman's short story "The Yellow Wall-paper" every semester, a classic tale of how poorly doctors dealt with postpartum depression in the late 1800's.

As it turns out, a lot of women experience postpartum problems. While I have not been depressed thankfully, recently I began to not feel well.  First it was cramps, which I later learned are known as after cramps, then a pounding headache that never seems to go away. A trip to the doctor's confirmed that what I was feeling was not usual necessarily, but why I was feeling this way remained elusive. So while my doctor is on the case, for the time being Coraline and I have been taking it easy, couch napping and cuddling, hoping Mommy feels better soon.

I had decided shortly after Cora was born that the hubby and I should have a mini St. Patrick's Day party because it was the original date Coraline was slated to arrive. Our idea of a party is just the three of us in party hats eating green food, but honestly, that's just the way we like it around here. Of course, I didn't have anything St. Patrick's themed for Coraline to wear, so I decided to decorate a onesie during her daytime nap today because the hubby had suggested that a little crafting would distract me.

This was a quick project, just the way I like it! The original onesie, purchased by the hubby's sister, I believe, was a light lime green with a pink embroidered bee. I selected vintage scraps from my stash in rainbow colors and ironed fusible on the back:

 
I cut the rainbow and clouds by hand, and then used a scrap of black satin for the cauldron to cover the bee embroidery. I outlined the clouds with a running stitch in silver thread.

 My favorite part, though, has to be the hand sewn sequins for the pot of gold. I'll be sure to take pictures of the little one in it on Saturday! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment