Monday, June 11, 2012

DIY Flavored Vodkas

I've had a great deal of fun making flavored vodkas. It all began with the success of my bubble gum infused vodka last year. I think the hardest part was making the label. I love that it turned a bright pink color!

Creating flavored vodka couldn't be simpler: put fruit/vegetable/candy/herb in vodka and let sit. Every once in awhile, shake it like a Polaroid picture! You can keep it in the refrigerator, but it's not necessary. Don't let it sit in direct sunlight, or you may lose any pretty color (trust me on this one!)

Obviously the longer it sits, the stronger the flavor infusion. I've used mason jars in the past, but for this batch of homegrown strawberries, I used recycled bottles. Because alcohol is a sanitizer, you do not have to sanitize the containers like you would for canning. 

After a few days (up to a few weeks), strain and re-bottle for gift giving. 24 hours in and the strawberry concoction is already a lovely shade of pale red. (Sorry for the sideways picture!). I can't wait to see it in a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment