Monday, June 25, 2012

Sparkly Things

Before I began to sew in earnest five years ago, beading was my main craft. Making jewelry is the craft I have done the longest, and I can remember making beaded creations for myself and my family at seven or eight years of age. Occasionally, my grams will wear one of my original pieces, made of cheap plastic beads and crimped wire, and I cringe at my creation. I've improved a lot in all these years of jewelry making! 

By the way, taking pictures of jewelry is hard, so I kept only to a few pics. Trust me, I have a lot more handmade jewelry creations to show you! I will definitely have to work on this skill for future blog posts. For the time being, I stuck to a few pieces and did the best I could, so you at least get an idea. :-)

The two hanging earrings below are the same style: they use a sterling silver link as the main component, with sterling chain and crystals as accents. Both are held together by wire-wrapped figure 8s in sterling silver. The style on the right uses hematite and sterling diamond-shaped drops recycled from an old pair of ugly earrings.

 This pair is similar, although a much simpler style. Again, I used a link as the main component: blue-gray enamel flowers with rhinestone center I purchased on my last trip to Queen Street West in Toronto. The drop is faceted crystal. For the earring hooks, I used bubble Bali beads, also recycled from another pair of (ugly) earrings.

This last pair I wanted to show you today were made using old sterling silver pieces I purchased on Ebay. I  replaced the earring hooks, and then added a round crystal drop accent.    


No comments:

Post a Comment