Friday, June 15, 2012

Tiny Little Mermaid Terrarium

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -William Shakespeare, A Midsummer's Night Dream

I love all things miniature, and like a typical girl, I ooh and ahh over all tiny things. I barely reach 5'4", so perhaps it is because I am so little that I love little things. Of course, I squealed in delight when I found this little miniature mermaid at the thrift store last week--I knew immediately she was meant for big things! Marked made in Japan, she seemed to be painted ceramic. She came with a real tiny starfish, two genuine shells, a piece of light green molded plastic coral, and plastic seaweed imbedded in plaster rock. I'm guessing she's from the 60's. She and all her accessories were being sold in a Ziplock baggie for a whopping $1.

It was serendipity a few days later, when at the very same thrift store, I found a tall glass container with a matching light green glass lid for $2. Nice lidded glass jars are hard to find thrifting because the glass is always chipped, or someone loses the lid. The jar was marked made in France, and being the Frenchwomen I am, of course I had to purchase it. I knew immediately that my mermaid had found her glass palace!

The last addition was a layer of glass, recycled from a patio table that my umbrella broke a few weeks ago. Yes, you read that right: in a gust of wind, my outdoor umbrella came crashing down on my outside glass table, shattering it into millions of little glass pieces. Well, what was I to do? I couldn't let them go to waste! ;-)


(By the way, if you were wondering why this isn't a real plant terrarium, I was concerned that the moisture from the plants would destroy the mermaid's painted finish. I do have plans for a real plant terrarium for my office soon, so stay tuned!) :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment