Tuesday, June 12, 2012

DIY Ipad 2 Case Book Hack

I'm quite pleased with how this project turned out! I realize I'm not reinventing the wheel here with hacking into a book, but this is one craft that came out exactly as planned in my head--woohoo! As anyone who crafts knows, that is rarely ever the case! ;-)

I purchased this book at the church thrift store for $3.00. (The only reason I remember is because I just removed the price sticker).  I was motivated by the endearing title and text, and the gorgeous aqua and foil rainbow hard cover!
 It also turned out that the book was the same exact size of my Ipad. Hmmm, would it work, I wondered?

Why yes, yes, it did! :)

While this isn't a full tutorial, here are some tips:
1. Find a book the same size as your iPad.
2. Cut the pages out of the book using an Exacto knife. In the picture above, you can see I was able to cut the pages out pretty cleanly by carefully cutting along the inside of the spine.
3. I lined the inside back and front cover with polka dot scrapbook paper glued down. This is optionally, but it covered where I cut the book out at the spine.
4. Create a harness to hold your iPad. I created a harness by covering foam board with scrapbook paper. The key was to creating a thickness that would not show the staples on the front side. I then stapled thin elastic in the corners, doing opposite corners and trying my iPad before continuing.
5. Protect your screen. I also glued a thin sheet of foam to the inside cover to protect the glass when shut. The foam I used is the kind often sold at the dollar store. I also added colored elastic underneath the foam to hold the book shut (seen in the photo above, and the last picture on the page), although it is not necessary.
Woohoo! Crafting success! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment