Saturday, February 16, 2013

A gift for Baby Samson

My sister-in-law delivered a bouncing baby boy named Samson on February 13th. Yay! This meant that I had to shift it into high gear to finish up the blanket that I had began sewing several months before. The hubby volunteered his services, which were much appreciated, because being nine months pregnant and crawling around on the floor to pin a blanket was a tad bit difficult.

The design for the whole present was inspired by the Michael Miller fabric I found on fabric.com. I thought the dachshund fabric was too cute! Of course, I wanted the blanket to be soft and cuddly for the new baby, so I included matching flannel from the Riley Blake line and a Minky back.

Goodness me, what a headache to sew!!! I encountered problem after problem, but I refused to give up. Have you ever watched the movie "Meet the Robinsons"? See the short 37 second clip above to see what I mean! ;-)

In the end, it worked out OK, I think! The black fleece binding on the blanket was crooked, despite sewing it by machine twice and fixing up spots by hand. The Minky fabric, while incredibly soft and snugly, was a nightmare to cut and sew (hellllo shedding stretchy fabric!). Then I had the brilliant idea to wash the blanket in baby detergent after I had sewed the whole darn thing, which caused even more problems, like splitting of a few seams! Ahh!!! So I had a little meltdown, but with the hubby's help, I was able to mend it with grosgrain ribbon sewed down to give a quilted appearance.

By the time it was all said and done, I was also able to fuse his initials on his lovey blanket, and even made a little matching gift bag with the rest of my scraps to wrap it all up. I happily gave it to the new parents yesterday and they said they loved it. Phew!!! Welcome to the world little one! :-)

Here's a shot of the blanket. I cut strips the width of the fabric, alternating the design, so it ended up being quite large. The dark brown grosgrain ribbon gave it a more pronounced striped effect: 

 His initials were cut by hand and fused on to one side of the lovey. (See previous post for other side)

 I made the gift bag large enough to hold the blanket, lovey, and a few goodies they might take home from the hospital. I had the light blue baby blue applique in my stash which matched perfectly! And check out the bag handles--yup, that's dachshund ribbon!

And here's a shot of it all together, ready to go! I used my Cricuit to cut the "S" initial for the front of his card:


No comments:

Post a Comment